• Homemade Cherry Bounce! (It’s like Kirsch.)

by  • July 25, 2011 • Recipes • 8 Comments

Cherries. They were on sale. It seemed to be too good to be true.

It was.

And it wasn’t.

I got my dark red bounty home and washed it off in the colander, shook off the excess and wandered out into the garden for my favorite early summer treat: fresh cherries.

Except it isn’t early summer. It is midsummer, for reals people, and those cherries were more battered and bruised than I could see through the plastic. Another reason to use the farmer’s market, I guess. Oh well.

Luckily, the good people over at FarmCurious gave me a hint as to what to do with the overabundance of cherries that were not too bad to toss, yet not good enough to snack on.

And since I’m not really ever going to make this (though it looks fun), Cherry Bounce works for me.

It is sorta like Kirsch. You need 4 things: cherries, vodka, sugar, mason jar. Then, you’ll have a party in about 6 months.

FarmCurious used sour cherries which sounds delightful. I used what I had: Bing.

I also substituted palm sugar; its a little less refined and makes me less crazy and tastes every bit as good as cane.

Lastly, I pitted my cherries in the name of maximizing space in the jar for more sweet, boozy, red fun.

8 Responses to Homemade Cherry Bounce! (It’s like Kirsch.)

1. Jackson
      September 13, 2011 at 2:49 pm

Oh yeah, forgot to mention why you don’t use vodka as the base, add some sour cherries, spices, and get some almondy flavor(either from pits or extract). The problem is that, with vodka and just sweet cherries, it often ends up tasting like eaux-de-coughsyrup. Nasty.

2. Jackson
      September 13, 2011 at 9:11 am

If you start this now, it will be ready for Christmas.
      It’s a bit late, but I think I should point this out. What you made wasn’t cherry bounce, it is closer to cherry Heering. Traditional bounce used brandy/Cognac, but most nowadays use Bourbon, and sometimes rum. Spices are also frequently used.
      The recipe I like:
      4 pounds sweet cherries
      1 can of 14.5 oz tart cherries
      2 pounds brown sugar
      2 750ml bottles Bourbon(Jim beam white is a good deal)
      2 cinnamon sticks
      Peel of one lemon
      Grating of nutmeg

Leave the pits in the cherries(if fresh), if not, add 2-3 drops almond extract. Put in gallon container, and shake daily until sugar dissolved. Ready in three months, but gets better over time. Taste after two months, add sugar/rum/brandy/whiskey/spices at discretion. Fruit can be served with drink, or used as topping or chutney. Fruit is VERY alcoholic, fair warning.

• Sri Lalita
        September 13, 2011 at 9:04 pm

Sounds delicious. Thanks for the recipe! It will be fun to experiment with this recipe and compare it to the one I’ve already made. They may lend themselves to somewhat different uses.

3. Claudia
      August 4, 2011 at 7:33 pm

I can’t wait!

4. July 25, 2011 at 11:14 pm

Yum … wonder how this will be with rainier cherries! I made similar cordials with sugared vodka and things like rose petals, rosehips, dandelion blossoms, hawthorne berries, and blackberries (not all together of course!). They needed better names like Bounce, though I think I did name one “Dandelion’s Elixir” as it was very dreamy. Tell us how it is this winter.

5. Sasi
      July 25, 2011 at 4:18 pm

Whiskey and cherries sound like a pretty good pairing.

6. Sri Lalita
      July 25, 2011 at 8:26 am

Whiskey! Great idea, Leah! When we went cherry picking earlier this year, I had planned to put them straight into vodka, but we ended up baking or eating all 18 lbs of them before I could! Anyway, I think this Bounce recipe might end up over-sweet, but it will be useful for mixing. Or not? Never underestimate my sweet tooth.

7. Leah
      July 25, 2011 at 6:40 am

while i agree that the farmer’s market is always better, the cherry crop is having a rough year. it’s been way too rainy so they are late and funky. rain means the cherries split, which they can’t sell so i’m guessing the bruised ones are making the cut. (weird things you learn when you live in one of the biggest orcharding towns in america).
      you can also soak whole cherries in whiskey and eat them after only a few weeks. i do love the idea of something called cherry bounce though!